Monday, October 12, 2009

Tasting Notes: 2004 Peller Estates Cabernet Sauvignon

peller

Whenever we come back from an overnight trip to Canada, we almost always stop at the duty free shop, primarily so I can pick up a few bottles of Canadian wine. Don’t laugh. I’ve written about wines from the Niagara-on-the-Lake region before and if you can find something to try, I strongly encourage you. One of the bottles I picked up was a 2oo4 Peller Estates Cabernet Sauvignon, released under their Private Reserve label. 

From the very first sip upon opening, to later in the evening there is a hint of oakiness. This is a light to medium-bodied cab. Definitely not “chewy”. However it is very smooth and balanced with a hints of dark berries and plum. The finish I would describe as a gentle smokiness with the slightest tannic touch. I served it with a pan seared T-bone steak and it held up nicely. Peller’s description mentions a slight peppery finish on their cabs, which I don’t fully pick up here. Although there is a touch of something that I would characterize as spice.

Peller is well known for their ice wines, which I enjoy and am sure to write about at some point. But their reds are quite wonderful as well and very reasonably prices, assuming you can track them down. Peller, like many Canadian wineries, can’t sell outside their province or Canada. So you’ll have to look for these wines in a duty free store or ask your favorite wine merchant to track a few bottles down for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment