Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Byward Market Ottawa

 IMG_0963I love farmer and open air markets.  There is a very nice one in the my area, but it never seems to compare to ones I  visit in other major cities. Take for example the famous Byward Market in Ottawa, Ontario. On a recent trip this summer for a youth hockey tournament, we were able to visit the market in full swing. The IMG_0957outstanding produce displays get me every time. I love the fact that these are real people pulling really foodstuffs from the earth.  Perhaps I romanticize it too much, but when you see produce like this,  the stuff you see in the  supermarket pales by comparison. IMG_0958The variety of colors and textures is amazing. I want to taste everything. I want to grab a shopping basket, load up with food and go find a place to cook. Nothing gets my cooking juices going like a farmers’ market.

Here are a few more  pictures to give you an idea of what I’m talking about.

IMG_0956

IMG_0959

I suppose what really strikes me about this market is how European it really is.  In addition to the farmer stands, there are number of specialty shops.  Want some fresh fish, pop in to the fish monger. As soon as you walked in it was like smelling the ocean; fresh, crisp and clean.

IMG_1088

Want some cheese? Who wouldn’t love to browse through a cheese shop with a wide selection of fromage that would do some serious damage to my checkbook.

 

The last place that blew me away was the big bakery and cafe. I IMG_1090 should have grabbed the actual name, but if you visit Byward Market, you won’t miss it.

The collection of breads,  pastries, sandwiches, tartes, pies and more was incredible.

IMG_1093

IMG_1094

The bottom line is that if there is a open air or farmers market in your area, I hope you’ll support it. And if you get a chance to visit Byward Market I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment