Sunday, October 25, 2009

Tasting Notes: Cortijo III Tinto Rioja 2008

cortijotinto As part of my current quest to find inexpensive but enjoyable wines I picked up a Spanish red from Cortijo III. I don’t have much experience with Spanish wines so that was another reason; I wanted to try something new. I was not disappointed.

This is a very enjoyable red wine from the Rioja region of Spain. The wine is a blend of 80% Tempranillo and 20% Garnacha (or Grenache). It is a deep ruby red and very full bodied, but not necessarily heavy. My first sip made me think immediately of chocolate. Not sure if I was picking up a flavor profile or merely an association. But in any event I opened up a bar of dark chocolate (70% cacoa) to pair with it.

This wine has a delicate berry-scented nose with a jammy finish. You get a gentle tannic coat and you find yourself wanting to take another drink. This is very easy to drink.  In fact, I just looked at the back label and they describe it as a describe it as a “drinking” wine, as opposed to something you want to sip. I think this would perfectly complement pork dishes or even turkey.   I may have to grab another bottle or two for Thanksgiving. I can easily imagine a terrific combination of this wine with a zesty fresh cranberry sauce.

For a bottle of wine you might find for under $10 this can’t be beat and certainly compares with more expensive wines I’ve tasted. If you drink red wines and want something you can drink often with out breaking your budget, you must try this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment