Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tasting Notes: Llama 2006 Malbec Old Vine

llama.gifOn a recent trip to a neighborhood wine shop, I decided to find some bottles under $20 and also from producers outside my comfort zone. I don't believe you have to spend $30, $50 or more for a decent bottle of wine. Drink what you like, and if it doesn't cost much, so much the better.


Tonight my wife opened up one of the bottles I brought home. A 2006 malbec from the Belasco De Baquedano Winery under their Llama label. This is an Argentinian winery with 100 year old vines. As soon as I took the first sip, I recognized the old vine richness immediately. The wine has an inviting deep purple that reminds me of a claret. The wine is aged for 6 months in new French oak and then another 6 months in the bottle and you can get a hint of oakiness in the finish. I find notes of berry and spice with lingering tannic finish. Actually the finish invokes an earthiness in my mind. Maybe that's the old vine talking.


The bottle I picked up was around $14, which isn't bad considering how far the wine had to travel to reach my neighborhood shop. Sipping it puts me in the mood to serve it with rack of lamb. This is a wine you could easily drink now and certainly for another few years. I may have to grab a few more bottles to cellar to see if I'm right.


I've not tasted a lot of malbecs so I don't have much to compare. This doesn't knock your socks off but it is has great flavor for the price point and definitely encourages me to sample more malbec.


I'd love to hear your malbec experiences and recommendations.

1 comment:

  1. I bought this wind from my neighborhood shop..It's not bad. But I think it is so sour. I prefer more full-body wine...

    ReplyDelete