Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cafe Saffron

During a recent youth hockey trip to Ottawa, Ontario my family and I ventured out to discover someplace for dinner. We didn’t have much time, didn’t want to spend a lot of money and needed a place we could all agree on. Fortunately we discovered a small Asian restaurant very close to the hotel that was a very pleasant surprise.

Cafe Saffron is a small eatery in what I suspect was a former Starbucks location, not that it makes any difference.  We arrived relatively early for dinner, around 5:00PM on a Friday evening and had hardly any wait. The menu offered a mix of Asian cuisines with something for everyone in my family. I ordered a house special, Saffron Spicy Chicken.

Our dishes were a little slow to arrive, but only because they were piping hot and were obviously made to order. My dish teased me with huge chunks of chicken in a fiery yellow sauce with plenty of flash fried red chilies.  The first thing I noticed was the chicken. In many Asian eateries chicken entrees offer small, indifferent shreds of meat. Not here. These were large chunks of breast meat that tasted very fresh, had terrific “chicken-ness” and was moist.

The sauce was sweet with a slow, quiet burn at the end. I thought the heat  would eventually catch up with me but it never did. Every sweet bite promised bit of heat, but it never really came. Perhaps I was supposed to nibble on one of the red chilies. But I was quite happy with my dish as it was.

The cafe had an empty steam table and judging from the rest of the menu and setup, I suspect it does a very respectable lunch business. The prices are very reasonable, the service attentive and I felt it was a very family-friendly establishment. Certainly not haute cuisine chinois, but very satisfying and everyone was happy.

I’m sure if stay close to Cafe Saffron on any future trips to Ottawa that it will merit a repeat visit.

Cafe Saffron
195 Kent Street
Ottawa, ON K2P 2M4, Canada
(613) 233-8989

No comments:

Post a Comment