Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tasting: 2006 Venta Mazzaron Tempranillo

One varietal that we seem to be drinking often these days is tempranillo. These (typically) Spanish reds tend to very affordable and quite enjoyable. The other night we opened a 2006 Venta Mazzaron Tempranillo. This wine is 100% tempranillo and drinks quite nicely.

At first pour the first thing I noticed was a smoky, berry nose. In the glass this wine offers a pleasant dark strawberry color with nice legs. Sipping reveals berries, a trace of plum with a very subtle spice note. The wine finishes with a strong tannic coat, that actually I found appetizing. While tasting, I realized this would be a perfect match to a tapa plate of olives and cured meats. I found some salami and it paired wonderfully.

You can definitely drink this now, although I'd like to try a bottle in a few years. The Wine Advocate gave this 90 pts and I think you'll enjoy this.  You should be able to find a bottle for around $15.00 which I think is a terrific value.

No comments:

Post a Comment