Thursday, September 9, 2010

Tasting 2007 The Zin

I think zinfandel's are a great every day wine. They are often affordable and if we're lucky can be quite luscious. The other day I tasted a 2007 vintage from Consentino Winery they label as "The Zin". Personally, I'm not to fond of clever or cute names, but this wine is exactly what you expect: a strong, traditional zin.

The wine presents a dusky, cherry body and the taste is all zinfandel. Strong, earthy flavors of tobacco, chocolate, blackberry with a trace of black pepper. I found the wine benefited from decanting, or at least let the wine open up for a while in your glass. I found it extremely tight otherwise. The wine has a short finish. You could drink this now but I think this will be much better in 2012.

The Zin is a modest and affordable ($15-$20) offering for casual wine drinking. Pick up a few bottles for next summer and enjoyed with your favorite grilled meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment