Monday, August 30, 2010

Tasting: Beak & Skiff Apple Vodka

I have to confess that I love a good vodka and I've come to appreciate high quality products. I'm always looking to try something new. Fortunately, like Dorothy Gale, I didn't have to look any further than my own back yard. Central NY is known for apples and Beak & Skiff is one of the region's oldest and largest orchard. Recently they have branched out and opened their very own distillery. Their first offering is an apple vodka.

The first thing you have to understand is that this is not an apple-flavored vodka, but rather a vodka distilled from apples. While I generally prefer traditional potato or grain based vodkas, I enjoyed Beak & Skiff's vodka.  It is crystal clear with a very clean nose, but not antiseptic. The first taste introduces a very subtle apple overtone, but it is brief and in no way interferes with the drink. I found it exceptionally smooth with gentle finish, that again offers a whiff of apple. I enjoyed sipping it neat but I imagine it would be quite bracing chilled. When used in a cocktail, the apple tones fade away as you might hope and expect. Again, this isn't a flavored vodka.

If you appreciate fine vodka and get you hands on a bottle, I think you'll enjoy this. You can purchase Beak & Skiff's apple vodka at their distillery (which has a tasting bar) or in a few select stores in Central NY. I recommend checking the  Beak & Skiff web site for the latestinformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment