Monday, November 16, 2009

Tasting: Miner 2007 Chardonnay

Miner07Chardonnay
Tonight I made a seafood risotto and paired it with a 2007 Chardonnay from Miner Family Vineyards out of the Napa valley. Once again, Miner delivers the goods. I don’t drink a lot of chardonnay, primarily because so many times, the winemaker seems to get carried away with the oak factor. I hate wines that make me feel like I’m chewing wood. To me, a nice chardonnay has a smooth, almost buttery overtone with just a hint oakiness. This chardonnay is right on the money.  For someone in your life who thinks they aren’t really a Chardonnay drinker, this may be just the wine for them to try.
When poured, you get a beautiful, straw colored drink that is easy to drink from the moment you yank to cork to the time you finish off the bottle. To my palate I pick up a few hints of apple and citrus. There is a slight acidic finish, that with the subtle oak note leaves a warmth in your mouth. After a minute to savor it’s time for another sip. I’d say you can drink this wine today. I imagine it will improve a little over the next few years, but I don’t think you have to wait. I probably won’t.
This is relatively affordable at$30 a bottle, club members pay less. Since Miner is small winery, you may have trouble finding it outside of California, but you can order online.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the tricky oak factor in Chardonnays. This sounds like a real winner!
    You know me, Jeff. I'm pretty much a red wine drinker but love a good buttery Chardonnay done right! Maybe we all can get together for a Chardonnay tasting soon, celebrating the holidays!! I remember you telling me about the Miner Vinyards and enjoyed a few reds at our dinners. Maryann Brigandi

    ReplyDelete